When it's less than a month away, I think it's best to countdown to the con every Wednesday. After all, come Thursday morning, I'm not going to be able to focus on doing anything else. So, from today, it's exactly 3 weeks away and I've started some prep work to ensure I can have yet another wonderful experience at D*C '11. I think everyone should do the first three. The others are for my own personal vanity :D
1. Sleep on a schedule that will be similar to what you'll do over the D*C weekend. For me, that means sleeping around 1am and waking up by 8am at the latest. I want to maximize my time at con, not losing any of it to oversleeping, being drowsy during the day, or partying too hard.
2. Start a walking routine. Go at a pretty fast pace, but something you can maintain for about 20-30 mins. You're going to walk at least a few miles at con, so start getting your joints and muscles ready for it. And for my fellow back pain sufferers, incorporate a few minutes of planks and superman stretches. Hold each for about 30-60 seconds and repeat 3-5 times.
3. Start your supplies shopping. This can range from anything you may need to mend costumes, to basic OTC meds, to snacks you'll be bringing. Be sure to think about how you'll pack and transport your belongings too. Those flying in should consider mailing a package to your hotel. They'll usually hold items until your arrival for a small fee, and some of them mail it back out for you too (since delivery services are closed on Labor Day).
4. I normally wear glasses, but I'll use contacts for that weekend. It's best to gradually increase how many hours you wear them. I'll wear mine every other day, and keep a bottle of eye drops on hand regardless. Even the most comfortable pair will get dry after half a day of costume watching, so the paranoid parrot in me brings an extra pair to start a fresh rotation when this happens.
5. Whitening teeth. I've used the basic strips from Crest and they've had great results. Then again, I don't smoke or drink lots of coffee. Now I'll warn you that your teeth will get sensitive after a few days, so you may have to cut it down to one treatment a day instead of the recommended two a day. Of course, extra dental care is good too. At least brush twice a day, floss, and use mouthwash. You'll be able to smile pretty for a photo op with your favorite guest! Lookin' at you, Autumn Reeser <3 !
6. Haircut and highlights. I think my hair looks best about 2-3 weeks after being cut, so I'm planning a trip to my stylist accordingly. Having brown highlights also works for one of my planned costumes, not to mention I loved the results last year.